Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, mainly until you encounter a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner malfunction. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and abruptly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm enfolded in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be the moment for an air conditioner replacement.
Often times, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be working properly, but it still says that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s usually caused by an outdated or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the pros to find out what’s wrong. There are many causes for why air conditioners break down, especially bearing in mind the weather in Rapid City. Here are some things that you can examine for before you call Street Heating and Cooling if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you examine your system and discover that the fan isn’t functioning properly, it means that the heat movement isn’t occurring, causing the warm air to hang around in your home. This malfunction can also trigger overheating of the compressor and other potential internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar problems that Street Heating and Cooling sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner lower suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season comes around. Dirty air filters can also decrease the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an obstruction or obstruction in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to lose efficiency and decelerate.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also deterred from outside barriers near your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is hindered, it can influence it’s cooling capabilities. Make sure that your system is free from obstacles and is cleaned routinely to lower the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and additional checks that you should look into and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system procedure, call Street Heating and Cooling at 605-206-3915.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you up at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under annual maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at Street Heating and Cooling in Rapid City is always here to assist – give us a call at 605-206-3915.