According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to reach out to Street Heating and Cooling in Rapid City about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the pros at Street Heating and Cooling. A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts open.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Rapid City home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Street Heating and Cooling at 605-206-3915 or arrange an appointment online.