As the heat increases, so does your energy costs. To keep your air conditioning bills low you could be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Rapid City?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually not true.
Keeping your air conditioning going all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re out, and turning it back down when you come back. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the job for you.
It’s much more work for your system to keep a constant temperature all day long. It can also result in a lot of strain on your air conditioner, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it could also result in a shorter life cycle for your AC.
No matter what, the greater the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your air conditioning costs will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your utility bills down in the hot weather? Here are our suggestions based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Ways to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Modify Your Thermostat. The DOE says that you can conserve up to 10% per year on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away at work. Through the summer, it’s suggested to position your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s equally as important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a cooler setting than usual when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your house any faster, it just leads to higher electric expenses. While these temperatures may appear warm, there are a number of methods to keep cool without having to constantly run the air conditioner.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says turning up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lessen energy by up to 14% throughout the warmer months. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Additionally, keeping blinds lowered and curtains closed during the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window treatments intended to deliver extra insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky gaps around a residence allow for cooler air to rapidly escape and warmer air to get in. This may result in your AC equipment being required to work harder to keep your house cooler and your energy costs to rise. Make sure that any openings, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy fixes for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Schedule Annual Checkups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your equipment is always functioning at its best. This allows our professionals to detect small issues before they become major troubles. A clean AC unit is usually more efficient and might even last for a greater period of time.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest methods to ensure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively changes the temperature based on your day-to-day schedule. It works together with your smartphone to see when you’re home or elsewhere to enhance your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR mentions that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 annually on heating and cooling expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioner. You can anticipate a properly taken care of AC unit to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently contacting us for air conditioning repair or your AC expenses are increasing with no fluctuations in thermostat settings, it may be time for an upgrade. We offer numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, such as ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Increase Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Street Heating and Cooling
No one enjoys seeing their electricity bill climb during the warm months. If you’re wanting more ways to keep your energy usage and expenses low this summer, our team can help. Give us a call at 605-206-3915 or contact us online now for more details.