Spring is in the air here in Rapid City and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Street Heating and Cooling team has some recommendations that will help keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you return to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Street Heating and Cooling in Rapid City a call at 605-206-3915.